[soliloquy slug="home-slider"]

The house of Nyangmey Chukmo in Tsento was built by Tshongpon Gonpo for his lam (root teacher) Kathog Rigdzin Chenpo (Sonam Gyeltsen) before the 17th century. A devout disciple, Tshongpon Gonpo was his lam’s treasurer as well as a merchant; hence he was known by the title ‘Tshongpon’ which means merchant.  His family line continued through female descendants;  later, the house was known for significant wealth and landed properties under successive female descendants and had considerable influence on the local populace, and therefore the house was known as Nyangmey Chukmo, literally meaning, “wealthy woman’.  Earlier, the family was one of the seven chukmo or wealthy aristocratic families of Paro valley.

Many successive male family members from Nyangmey Chukmo are recorded to have held important posts like Zimpon (chamberlain), Dzongpon (district magistrate) and Nyerpa (district revenue officer) in Paro Rinpung Dzong and Drukgyel Dzong. One member of the Nyangmey Chukmo lineage, His Holines Je Sherub Gyaltsen even served as 25th Je Khenpo (Chief Abbot) of Bhutan (rg.1836–1839). Dolkar is the 8th living female descendant of Tshongpon Gonpo.

Located behind Nyangmey mansion is a temple which is believed to have been founded by Gelongma Palmo, a revered Buddhist nun, who lived in India many centuries ago, possibly as early as the 7th century. The temple was re-consecrated by Je Sherub Gyaltsen after its renovation. This temple is an integral part of Nyangmey house since it has been continuously maintained by the family downthrough the generations. The principle image is a statue of Buddha Shakyamuni with one thousand small Buddha statues behind it. On the left is a statue of Chenrezig (Avalokitesvara) and on the right, a statue of Je Sherub Gyeltsen. Also enshrined in the temple is a footprint of Gelongma Palmo.

*The museum will offer free visit to the museum for all the visitors on 13th 14th and 15th of every October coinciding with the opening anniversary of the Museum .